Sunday, May 8, 2022

Chapter 108: Meeting New Friends and Old Friends

Google: docs, pub
John turned to Vivian.  “Are Grace and Henry okay?  What about Robert?”
“This castle has had many adventures since you were last here, John,” said Vivian.  “Grace and Henry especially.  But they’ve been very worried about you the past few weeks.  I’m sure they will be overjoyed when they find out you have returned to them.  And Robert is well also.  He will also want to see you.  They are still in the same chambers as before.”
Kolet recognized the names from John’s stories.  “Can I finally meet your brother and sister at last?” she said.  “I’ve dreamt of meeting them since you first told me about them.”
“Yes, come on,” said John.  “I’ll introduce you both to them.”  He took Kolet by the hand, and led her down the castle stair.  Aurora followed them.
“So now we have to wait for Catherine to arrange the meeting with Midor,” sighed Carlyle.  “Well, while we wait, is there any way that my friends can be made comfortable?”
“That’s quite a group of travelers you have with you,” observed Vivian.  “I think I recognize at least some of them.  Is that Starrof and Klangor?  I see your quest to return to your dragon bodies was not successful.”
The rabbits seemed momentarily upset by this comment, but then they abruptly turned to expressions of affection.  “Ah, Vivian, how fond I am of you,” exclaimed Starrof.  “I wish there was something I could do to make you happy.”
“As do I?” Klangor quickly added.
Vivian looked confused.
Carlyle looked angrily at the rabbits.  “It means that they wished to do you harm, Vivian.  That’s why they are now saying they love you.”
Vivian was so confused that she had to laugh.  “Father, whatever are you talking about?” she asked.
“Yes, I know it doesn’t make much sense,” said Carlyle, chuckling himself.  “I’ll explain everything in a minute.  And Alfred, old friend, I badly want to reconnect with you again.  But first, I have many traveling companions who have to be taken care of.”
“Yes, of course,” said Vivian.  “Klangor and Starrof, you were once guests of this castle before.  You are welcome to return to your old beds and your old rooms.”
“We demand to be carried down the stairs,” said Starrof.
“We are not going to descend from this tower by ourselves,” said Klangor.
“Yes, yes, of course,” said Vivian, stooping down to pick the rabbits up.
“It might be easier to grab the whole basket,” said King Carlyle.  “Some of the other small creatures might benefit from being carried down the stairs as well.  I’d carry it down myself, except I have no thumbs.”
“Are you going to introduce me to everyone?” asked Vivian.
“Jacob, Leo, Benjamin, Aiden, Adair, Conn, Brenna, Arlene, Arlina, and I believe Alfred is still carrying the Water Sprite Queen in the pitcher of water.  Alfred, if Catherine hasn’t destroyed the pond in the castle garden, perhaps the Water Sprite Queen would be more comfortable there.”
“We can bring everyone down by the pond,” said Vivian.  “It might be nice to sit and talk there.  And what about John and the two mushroom girls?”
“I’m afraid you’ll have to ask John about that yourself,” said Carlyle.  “I got separated from him on our journey.  Or Benjamin here might be able to tell you more.  But apparently John spent some time in the mushroom kingdom, and fell in love.”
“I wonder if I did the right thing by helping them,” said Vivian.  “I can’t imagine that relationship is going to work out.”
“Well, that’s what I said about you and Midor years ago,” said Carlyle. “I guess if there’s one thing I’ve learned…” he paused and thought carefully before continuing.  “I’m not sure what I’ve learned. Maybe I’ve learned that you have to let people make their own mistakes.  Or maybe I haven’t learned anything at all yet.”
When they got down to the pond, King Carlyle turned to Alfred.   “Tell me, Alfred,” said King Carlyle.  “Where have you been all these years?  How come you have not aged?”
So Alfred told King Carlyle his story.  Vivian, who had heard the story a couple times now, listened to it all again with the same fascination as when she had first heard it.
“I’m greatly disturbed by what I see in Catherine,” Alfred confessed.  “She is no longer the same woman I once loved.”
“No,” said Carlyle sadly.  “I’m afraid we lost that woman 20 years ago.  After you disappeared, there was even more of a change over her.   
“Do you still have feelings for her?” Vivian asked.
Alfred laughed. “What do you mean still?  I’ve only just come back.  I haven’t yet adjusted to your time.  To me, everything is as it was 20 years ago.  And she is the only woman I’ve ever loved.”
“Fair enough,” said King Carlyle.
“I’ve been shocked watching her the past few days though,” said Alfred.  “It’s like she has no heart.”
“It is like that, isn’t it?” said Carlyle.  “It’s the magic that has done it.  All that black magic has rotted her away from the inside.”
“But there’s still good in her,” said Alfred determinedly.
“Is there?” asked Carlyle.  “I’m not sure I’ve seen it.”
“I’ve seen it,” said Alfred.  In moments of weakness, she reveals her tender side.
“Very well, if you say so.”
“There is good in her father,” Vivian implored.  “She’s taught me so much the past few weeks.”
“I’m not sure I approve of that,” said King Carlyle.  “You’ve seen what that magic has done to your aunt.  And I’m not sure she’s teaching you out of kindness.  She might well be trying to corrupt you just out of spite.  Because she can’t bear you being young and pure while she is old and evil.”
“Father! How young do you think I am?” asked Vivian.  “I’m not a child anymore.  My own son is practically grown.”
“Oh, yes.  Sometimes I forget these things,” said Carlyle.  “Sometimes I forget how old we all are.”

No comments:

Post a Comment