Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Chapter 105: Midor Bargains with Aefar the Vampire

 Google: docs, pub
“So how long do you think we have?” Charles asked Midor, “Before the monsters come who can do magic themselves.”
Midor shrugged.  “It’s impossible to say really,” he said.  “The land was divided so that the most powerful monsters were the furthest from the portal entrance.”
“Well that’s lucky,” said Charles.
“Yes, it is, isn’t it.  But I’m not sure it’s entirely luck.  I think there was some force that drew the powerful monsters deeper into the darkness.  I’m not sure what it was.”
“But what if--” Charles stopped suddenly.  Aefar the vampire had entered the room.  “What are you doing here?” he asked accusingly.
“Don’t talk to me in that tone,” Aefar said.  “I could crush your windpipe with my bare hands.”
Charles stood up angrily.  “I’m no child that you can threaten me,” he said.  “I’m captain of the guard.”  He flashed his sword out of his sheath.  “I could cut your hands off before they ever reached my throat.”
Scarcely had Charles finished speaking the words, then Aefar had rushed up and seized him by the throat.  The vampire moved so quickly that Charles didn’t have a chance to react.   Aefar picked Charles up by his throat.  The pressure on his throat had Charles gurgling for air, but the vampire did not actually squeeze to crush his windpipe.  “The only reason I allow you to live is because Catherine commands me not to harm those in the castle,” he said.  “But someday she will change her mind. And then I will come for you.  You and your children.”
Aefar dropped Charles.  In other circumstances, the threat against his children would have caused Charles to lash out, but now he was simply on the floor gasping for breath.
“What are you doing here,” said Midor.  “Aren’t you supposed to be guarding Catherine during the night?”
“And who are you to ask questions of me?” said Aefar in the same angry tone.
“You know who I am,” said Midor.  
“Ah, yes, the great Midor,” said Aefar sarcastically.  “You don’t scare me.”
“I’m afraid you don’t understand,” said Midor.  “I’m not supposed to be scary.  I’m supposed to be helpful.  Creatures have affection for me because I can get them what they want.”  Midor raised his head slightly to make direct eye contact with Aefar.  “What is it that you want?” Midor asked.
“Nice try, Midor.  Catherine gets me everything I want,” said Aefar.  “I don’t need you.”
“Are you happy living in this castle?” Midor asked.  “Do you like working for Catherine?  Wouldn’t you prefer to go back home to your caves in the mountains?”
“What are you proposing, Midor?  Can you free me from the servitude of Catherine?”  The sarcastic tone of Aefar’s voice made it clear he thought it was ridiculous for Midor to propose such a thing.
“Not by myself,” said Midor.  “But I have a lot of friends in this forest.  You’ll need to make the first move, but we could help you.”
“I will report you to Catherine,” hissed Aefar.  “You, Midor, are not part of the royal family.  You’re not even supposed to be in Castle Tauna.   When Catherine finds out, she will have you banished from the castle.”
Midor didn’t blink.  “Go ahead and think it over,” he said.  “The offer is always on the table.  I’d like to do you a favor, if I can.  It doesn’t have to be freedom from Catherine.  It could be anything.  But sooner or later, everyone has something that they need.  And I’m a man who can help with a lot.  Well, not me personally, but my connections.”
“Just remember this,” said Aefar, “the minute you get banished from this castle, you are no longer protected from Catherine.  You would become my prey out there in the forest.  I can survive on animal blood if I have to, but a vampire’s natural food is human blood.”
“Is that what you want?” asked Midor.  “Human blood?”
Aefar stared at him.  “What are you proposing?” he demanded.  “I do not need your help obtaining my blood.  I am a hunter.  I would much rather hunt you, Midor, then beg from you.  And once you are outside of Catherine’s protection, I will!”
Aefar turned suddenly and left.
“Are you okay?” Midor asked Charles.
“My throat is still a bit sore,” said Charles through a scratchy voice.  “But I’ll live.  I think.  What was all that about?  Do you traffic in human blood now?”
“Well, not actual blood,” Midor said.  “But the elves make a special wine, which is fermented in such a way that it is said to resemble the texture of blood.  It’s been known to satisfy vampire’s in the past.  The thing about vampires,” Midor continued, “is that they have a hard time following the law of the forest.  The law of the forest emerged when it was found that all animals could live on plants.  Vampires can’t live on plants exactly, so it’s harder for them to abide by the law of the forest, but there are some alternatives that can be found for them.”
“And what’s this,” Charles said, “I heard about you promising meat to the monster in the dwarves’ mine?”
“Well, that wouldn’t have been real meat,” said Midor.  “But the elves are able to make something that tastes exactly like cooked meat from mushrooms concentrated beans.”
“So you don’t actually provide the forest with blood and meat,” said Charles.
“Of course not.”

No comments:

Post a Comment