Thursday, January 21, 2021

Chapter 35: Trying to Warn Carlyle

 Google: docs, pub

As soon as Midor was shrunk down, he started running.  He knew Catherine was planning on snatching him up and putting him in her bag.  But then, once he realized Catherine was distracted by Talon, he seized his chance.  Midor grabbed John’s hand.  “Come on,” Midor said.  “There’s a hole over here.  We can hide down it.”  John had no idea what Midor was talking about, but Midor knew where all the secret areas of the forest were.  He moved some leaves, and kicked over some twigs, and sure enough, there was a small mouse hole that he and John jumped down.  From inside, they could hear everything Catherine and Talon said to each other.

John and Midor stayed perfectly quiet the whole time.  The hole was too dark to exchange any looks, but each of them knew that they were hearing something very significant.  

It wasn’t until after Talon and Catherine left that Midor and John came out of the hole.   “We’ve got to do something,” said John.

“Agreed,” said Midor.  “We’ve got to find a way to warn King Carlyle as quickly as possible.  There’s no way we can get there in time ourselves.  But maybe one of my winged friends can help.”

Midor saw a fly on one of the mushrooms nearby.  “Is that you, Bartholomew?” Midor asked.

The fly gave Midor a funny look (if indeed that can be said of a fly).  “Midor?   Is that you?  What happened?”

“I got shrunk down by an evil witch.  The standard stuff.  Don’t worry about me, I’ll find a way to reverse the spell somehow.  But right now  I need your help.  Do you know the human King Carlyle, who lives in the castle?”

“I believe so,” said Bartholomew.  “As you know, we insects don’t really concern ourselves very much with the affairs of humans.”

“Yes, I know.  But I need a message taken to him, and I can’t get there fast enough myself.  Could you use your wings and fly to the castle?  Tell whoever you first meet there the message, and they can relate it to King Carlyle.  But beware of any ravens around the castle, especially crows that look like  they may have come from another part of the forest.”

“And what message do you need me to give?”

“Just say this: Talon is allied with Catherine.  Tell him the message is from me.  He’ll know what it means.  And please, hurry as fast as you can.”

“It is an honor to help out the great Midor,” said Bartholomew the fly.  “You can count on me.” And away he went.

As the fly was leaving, Benjamin the mouse and Jacob the frog emerged from the underbrush.  “John, is that you?” said Benjamin.  “We’ve been looking all over for you.  We were afraid that the witch might have gotten you.”  

“Who is your friend?” asked Jacob.

“Hello Jacob,” said Midor.  “It’s been a few years, I know.  I haven’t been to this part of the forest in quite some time.”

“Midor?” said Jacob with surprise.  “But what… Oh no! The witch got you too.”

“Benjamin,” said Midor.  “Greetings. I hope your family is doing well”

“Thanks to you, Midor,” said Benjamin.  “We are still indebted to you for the help you gave us many years ago.  I’m very sorry to see you in this state.”

“Don’t worry about me,” said Midor.  “I’ll be alright one way or the other.  The important thing is that we have to get back to the castle as soon as possible.  King Carlyle’s family is in danger.”

“And how are you going to do that?” 

“I know some birds who can help us,” said Midor.  “I just need to get ahold of them.”

No comments:

Post a Comment