Sunday, November 29, 2020

Chapter 26: Grace Versus Henry

 Google: docs, pub

Grace walked into Henry’s room, and shut the door behind her.  “Henry, what are you doing with Alicia?”

“What do you mean?” Henry asked.

“I mean the two of you are always together.”

Henry straightened his back.  “I find the young lady’s company to be quite agreeable, Grace, if it’s any of your business.”

“It is my business because we are guests in this castle,” said Grace.  “And I don’t want to have to sleep outside with the monsters and the ghosts because you were out there breaking hearts.”

“I haven’t--”

“Why just last week, you were always hanging out with her sister Amanda.  Now suddenly it’s Alicia.  Are you trying to get the sisters to fight with each other? Because the last thing we need is more drama in our lives.”

“Grace, I resent your tone,” Henry said.  “As it happens, Alicia and I are now formally courting each other.  We’re quite serious.”

“How serious?  Have you spoken to her parents?”

Henry was silent for a moment.  “We’ve barely just begun to…”

Grace slammed her fist down on the dresser.  “Talk to her parents.  Make it official.  Or if you’re not ready for that, then stop going out on walks with her all alone.  Invite her parents along to chaperone.”

“What about you and Robert?” Henry retorted.  “You think I haven’t noticed the way you look at him?  You’re going to make Thomas awfully jealous.”

“That’s not the same,” said Grace.

“Isn’t it though?  Robert’s the heir to the castle.  If you break his heart, then we’re really in trouble.”

“I have not broken his heart.”

“Yet,” said Henry.  “But you will.  Just like you did to all those young admirers of yours when we were back in Mora.”

Grace reddened with fury.  “You know, you can be a real pig sometimes,” she said.  “Do you really want to drag all that up again?”

“You started this conversation,” Henry said.

“Fine,” said Grace. “Fine. I’m sorry I brought anything up.  You do what you want Henry.  Hopefully it will be just you that King Carlyle kicks out of the castle anyway.”  With that Grace turned around and stalked out of Henry’s room, slamming the door behind her.

No comments:

Post a Comment